Welcome to the Unicorn Madness: say hello to my banana bread 2.0. This time I baked an extravaganza-sizzling-and-above -all-delicious banana bread. It’s an explosion of colors. A perfect treat for the summer days. Want to bake it? Check it out below:
TEAM UNICORN FOR THE WIN
It really looks like a big party on the plate, right?
Loads of happy colors that taste delicious too. Maybe you expect the treat to be super sweet, but guess what.. It’s just banana bread. So it depends what you put in it how it will taste. My banana bread was pretty plain, but I spiced it up with (pink) cream cheese and white and pink chocolate.
If you want to make this delicious, over-the-top treat yourself you only need a few things. First of all an hour of two to prepare- and bake it. After the baking the banana bread needs to cool off before you can decorate it. I will share my tips and tricks with you:
HOW TO MAKE THIS BADASS UNICORN BREAD?
First of all make sure you buy some good food coloring so you don’t need a crazy amount of drops to make the color pop. One thing you DON’T want when baking this treat that the colors are not bright enough. So make sure all the colors are popping – aka super bright – before you put it in the oven.
THE STEPS TO SUCCESS
- Buy the food coloring at the supermarket; I bought mine at Tjin’s Toko in Amsterdam
- Buy all the ingredients for the base
- Make sure you have enough bowls to divide the banana bread base
- Buy some cool toppings – I decided to only buy white and pink chocolate for that extra ‘wow’ effect
- Enjoy the treat with the people you like, that makes it always more fun
HOW TO PREP THE UNICORN BANANA BREAD?
To make the base you need a few basic ingredients. What I used to make this unicorn banana bread?
- 200 grams of (ultra fine) oat meal
- 10 grams of coconut baking powder
- 3 medium bananas
- 3 medium/ large eggs
- 1 bag of vanilla sugar
- 1-2 tbsp of a spread of choice (I choose stroopwafel spread, but for example it can also be peanut butter or chocolate spread)
So that are all the ingredients you need to create this banana bread base. After you mixed the base all together in a big bowl it’s time to food color it. How you do it?
- Divide the oat meal base into 4 big bowls
- For each color you need a separate bowl
- Mix a few drops into each bowl and stir it – after a while you see the color. If it’s popping you can stop adding the color. If it’s still not bright; add a few more drops. I think I add 6-7 drops for each color to a bowl
- When the colors are like how you want it; divide each color into the oven scale. Be careful: you need to be very precise otherwise the colors will mix together
- When it’s in the scale, you can add some magic Unicorn sprinkles
- After that you need to put it in the oven for 35-45 minutes on 180 degrees. Every once in a while you need to check if the banana bread is already done
TIME TO DECORATE IT
And after the baking the coolest process starts: DECORATING THE UNICORN BREAD. Or in my opinion that’s the most fun to do. I love to create an over- the- top- looking- treat. So what snacks did I buy exactly?
THE UNICORN BREAD TOPPINGS
To create this crazy treat, you need some color poppin’ chocolates too
So that’s what I bought: WHITE and PINK chocolate. What products did I use and how much did I put on it?
- 1 bag of the Pink KitKat (it’s called the Ruby KitKat – I love the taste)
- 1 bag of the White KitKat
- A big piece of the white-crackling sugar-raspberry-Tony Chocolonely chocolate bar
- 5-6 squares of Ruby chocolate from the brand Delicata (they sell it at the Albert Heijn in The Netherlands)
- 4 squares of some random white chocolate bar
- 2 flamingo cookies (bought it at the Lidl)
After the unicorn has cooled off you can decorate it right away. So that’s exactly what I did. I added all the chocolates – I mentioned above – on the top of the treat. But after putting the chocolates on top; I also decided to add ‘that little bit extra’ by creating a pink cream cheese.
What I did to create it? I will tell you.
THE PINK CREAM CHEESE WITH A NUTELLA SWIRL
So the night before I baked the unicorn bread – I prepped a Nutella-pink-cream cheese already. It’s super easy to prep, but you need to do it the night before because it needs to be in the freezer for a few hours.
How to make the pink cream cheese?
- Make sure you have a full package of cream cheese – naturel flavor – at least 2/3 of the package need to be added to a bowl
- After that add 3-4 big spoons of butter to the cream cheese and stir it really good. Until it gets light and fluffy
- Add 1 bag of vanilla sugar and stir it very good again
- To make it pink you need some food coloring again: add 2-3 drops of the red bottle to the cream cheese. Because it needs to be pink you need to be careful with the amount of drops you put into the bowl
- Put the fresh, pink cream cheese on top of the unicorn bread
If you want to make the Nutella-swirl-pink-cream cheese pieces, you need to use the exact same ingredients. The only thing you do different is putting it on a plate – add 1 tablespoon of Nutella on top – and put it in the freezer for 6-8 hours. I took the frozen Nutella-swirls out of the freezer only 10 minutes before I ate the unicorn banana bread.
SURPRISE, SURPRISE: LET OUT YOUR INNER KITCHEN QUEEN, GIRLS
Ps, want to see the baking process step by step on video? CLICK HERE to see the full YouTube video I made of it. Enjoy the unicorn cake girls. It’s an amazing birthday – or party – treat. Let me know if you tried it yourself! By tagging me on Instagram with: #GOWITHINDI
Girls, this is such a Saturday-treat-winner-breakfast, right?