This week’s treat was chosen by you, girls. Thank you so much that you made me bake this delicious red velvet cake. Dang, it was so good. I’m more than happy to share the recipe with you:
MAKE THE RED VELVET CAKE POP
Oh yes, and it worked out well. I was pretty scared to cut the cake open. Why? Because it looked a bit dark from the outside. Not brown or something, but more dark red. Luckily the inside was super red. So don’t let the outside scary you, the inside is amazing.
I think the most fun part of baking is decorating. I love being creative and make it a beautiful-looking – or over the top – treat. This time I could go all out on the cream cheese frosting. Love it!
HOW TO BAKE THE RED VELVET CAKE?
First of all you need to buy all the ingredients showed above. Side note: I bought a gluten free cake mix because I’m allergic to wheat. So the only thing you need to do is add 4 eggs and 250 grams of salted butter to the mix and that’s it. If you want to make the cake mix yourself; I will write the ingredients down for you:
WHAT’S IN IT?
Because I’m allergic to wheat I bought a gluten free cake package. But if you want to make it yourself you need the following ingredients:
THE BASE (CAKE)
- Flour (spelt or whatever you want) 225 grams
- Salted butter (250 grams)
- Baking powder (2 tbsps)
- White sugar (200 grams)
- Eggs (3 pieces)
- Milk of choice (150-200 ml)
- Cocoa powder (1,5-2 tbsps)
- Red dye (0,5 of the bottle)
HOW TO MAKE THE BASE?
First of all you need to have to bowls so you can seperate the batter later. Follow these steps to create the two base lasers (the red veltvet and vanilla one):
- Mix the flour, the butter and the eggs in one big bowl together
- Mash it until it’s solid and has no lumps anymore
- Divide the batter between the two bowls – it needs to be even
- Grab the baking mold and but baking paper in it
- Grab two spoons and start putting both base layers into the mold
- First a spoon of red velvet; after that a vanilla filled spoon. Keep repeating until the base is gone and it’s all inside the baking mold
- Grab a knife and mix the layers a bit together: not too much. But by putting the knife inside you can create the marble look
- Put it in the oven (160 degrees) and let it stay there for 55-60 minutes
- Every once in a while check if it’s already done by using a satay skewer. When the satay skewer is all clean you can take the cake out of the oven
- Let it cool off for 60 minutes before decorating it with the cream cheese frosting
And now the cake is in the oven, it’s time to make the cream cheese frosting. Once again I took it easy this time. I bought a can filled with prepped cream cheese frosting already. I really loved the taste of this brand, so I would definitely recommend it to you, girls. But if you want to make the cream cheese frosting yourself; this is the way to do it:
DECORATING TIME: CREAM CHEESE HEAVEN
First buy the following ingredients so you can make the cream cheese frosting yourself:
- Cream cheese (100 grams)
- Salted butter (100 grams)
- Powdered sugar (60-70 grams)
- Lemon (half the lemon grater)
And now it’s time to make the delicious cream cheese – or just buy the can like I did.
HOW TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING?
- Mix the cream cheese and the salted butter together in a bowl
- Add the powdered sugar to the bowl while stirring
- After that mix the lemon grater into the mash
- When it’s solid you can put it on top of the red velvet cake
EASY DOES IT, RIGHT?
In less than 10 steps you create this amazing treat you can bake for a birthday or just because you love it
Girls, if you make my red velvet recipe; feel free to tag me with: #gowithIndi on Instagram. Feel free to follow me on Instagram also. I would love to see your creation and let me know if you liked the taste of the cake. A little #lifehack: you can also add some peanut butter to the red velvet cake. The nutty flavour combined with the vanilla is a winner combination
Until the next, girls